Thursday, January 26, 2006

My mum is the best…

Just had dinner with my mum and it just hit me once again that I probably have the best mother in the world.

I did not have an easy childhood; my father was missing from my life most of the time and even when he was around. He was more of a terror than a father.

I still have 2 younger brothers and yet, my mum brought us up single-handedly. All these while, I knew that I have to work very hard, so that my mum will have an easier life in future.

Despite the hard times, my mum never let me felt that I am poor. She gave me what ever she could, scrimping on herself and gave her children the world.

When I graduated, my dream was to travel Europe. Although my mum thought that it was a total waste of money (she had never traveled by plane), she “loaned” me additional 2K when I most needed the money (for my frivolous want!) And of course, she never asked for repayment for the “loan”.

When one of my brothers secretly bought a motorbike, my mum got so freaked out that she bought a small car for my brother to zip around. She paid for the car in full.

Now that all 3 of us have grown up, and especially that I have already started working, I told her to take a break and not work so hard anymore. She refuses to listen, stating that my two younger brothers are starting on their universities soon and she needs the money to pay for our education. She is even trying to save up for my Masters.

Upon hearing that, I wanted to cry.

A mother’s love is so selfless. Without my mother, I will not be who I am today. (Not saying that I am anyone great now…)

But I could have easily been led astray during my teen years. Yet, my mother was also there for me and my brothers, playing the roles of a mother, a father and a breadwinner.

Just have this urge to tell everyone how great my mother is.

Mum, I love you.