Cabs vs Cabs
If you have been reading the papers, there have been quite a number of articles about Singapore’s public transportation systems, especially on cabs. In particularly, why aren’t there enough cabs and the ways to solve this “old” problem.
Many people have also compared Singapore’s cabbing experience with Hong Kong, indicating why Hong Kong, despite being twice as crowded, do not have the cab shortage problem.
Since I just came back from Hong Kong earlier this month, I just wana share my cabbing experience.
I remembered how I always laughed at those Hong Kong drama serials, showing actresses somehow ALWAYS being able to get cabs on the roads by just flagging their arms and “POOF”, a cab will arrive.
THAT IS TRUE IN HONG KONG.
I have tried and tested that a few times. In fact, all I need is to stand vaguely still near the side of the road and cabs will somehow miraculously appear and by the time I raise my arm, POOF: the cab is in front of me! Even in the peak hours (ie: morning at 8 plus), there are still empty cabs around, NOT that many but the ratio definitely seems higher than Singapore’s.
Cabs in Hong Kong are definitely very, very affordable. So the suggestion of raising the taxi charges to solve the demand and supply issue of Singapore cabs is totally bullshit. Secondly, there isn’t midnight surcharge. In fact, there isn’t any bloody surcharges EXCEPT for an additional HK$5 for every luggage in the boot. No airport surcharge, no public holiday surcharge, no peak hour surcharge.
Personally, I do not have any constructive suggestions but all I know is that Hong Kong can do it. Tai Pei can do it but why can’t Singapore do it without increasing the fares, despite being one of the countries with one of the highest number of cabs per capita??? Maybe if we have better public bus services, like private companies to give premium services, or a wider coverage of our rail network, or cabbies get to own their cabs instead of renting from our govt-linked companies, like Comfort (which net profit grows at 10+% annually?!?!) We might solve the problem?
No comments:
Post a Comment