Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My very 1st plant -> Princess Basil

Since I’ll be the CEO of Project Planter, I better make sure that I do a good job… or else, the CFO-cum-shareholder will most probably skin me alive.

On the eve of the reunion dinner, 12 Feb, I was happily doing some grocery shopping at Jason’s, where I chanced upon some pretty, little pots of basil. I figured that it would be the best time to put my green fingers to the test, so I bought a pot home.

It came in a really small plastic container that even I wouldn’t call it a “pot”. Thankfully, Bishan was having its usual selling-useless-stuff Passar Malam, and I managed to find a decent looking, white porcelain pot and some soil to repot this basil.

The original plastic container was so small that 95% of the basil’s roots were growing OUT of the container. I was thinking of ways and means to cut up the container, so that I could retain as much of the roots as possible. Me, being me, Miss “chor-loh”, accidentally PULL out that 95% of the roots while I was cutting up that little plastic container.

OPPS… … …

O well, too bad. I guess Princess Basil just gotta learn to survive on that 5% of roots. After repotting my fragile Princess Basil, I realized that her stems weren’t do a good job in supporting herself and Princess Basil was being very unsightly, flopping all over the place. So, I found a sturdy-looking, sunny-colored-orange straw and stuck it next to Princess Basil; and tied her stems to the straw to give her some support.

There, she looked much better already.

Of course, I was worried that she wouldn’t survive for more than a few days. And it really didn’t help that I was busy plucking away her beautiful leaves as I really needed some basil to cook.

Despite of all that, Princess Basil is currently doing quite well. Her leaves are in a healthy bright green, and I can even see some small leaves sprouting!

Princess Basil is definitely hardier than she looks.

I’ll post some pictures soon!

No comments: