Monday, May 17, 2010

The crazy things that we do

There was this one day, my interior designer (ID), who is an avid gardener called me one afternoon and told me that he saw this huge Bird Nest Fern that had fallen from a tree, along the road opposite Goodwood Park Hotel.

“It’s a big-ass fern! Really majestic looking! Just that 1 fern can fill up the whole planter box along your corridor.” exclaimed our ID.

That was like 4 pm in the afternoon and where the hell could I get a lorry to pick up that huge fern in such a short notice?! So, I was thinking to myself “Nah… not worth the effort”. Nonetheless, I told Hub about the fern and he too, thought that the whole process of scouting for a lorry and to go down all the way to orchard area to pick up a fallen fern seemed extremely ridiculous.

But that fern stuck to my head ever since…

And it brewed and brewed and I JUST COULDN’T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD. Until I couldn’t take it anymore and at 1230 am, ie: 8 and ½ hours after that wretched phone call. I told Hub that we needed to get that fern.

It would be like a housewarming gift from God.

And to my surprise, instead of yelling at me for being “crazy”, Hub pondered for a while and said to me “ok, let’s go and get that bloody fern?!”

So, at 1230 am, both of us last minute rented the biggest car that we could find, a Honda Odyssey (thanks to KahShare), quickly changed into something decent and dashed down towards orchard road to “rescue” a fallen fern.

And what a HUGEMONGOUS fern it was?! OMG… the leaves almost reached my shoulder?! Hub looked at it for like 2 seconds, and with all his strength, actually managed to pick up that Fern and squeezed it into the back of the Odyssey. There was just ENOUGH space for that fern.

Then the best part: where to put that monster? At first I thought we could just dump the Fern outside in-law’s flat but it was simply too big. So last minute, I called up my brother’s GF who had a garden and her mum was totally cool to adopt our Monster Fern temporarily.

So, at 1 am in the freaking morning, 2 idiots headed to her place to “deliver” the loot. And she was very sweet (and awake) to direct us where to place the Fern. The Fern was so big that when Hub carried the fern, he looked as if he had completely “disappeared” and you would see the Fern had suddenly sprouted 2 legs and “walked” itself to the garden. It was a really funny sight and instead of helping him, I was crouching at a corner, laughing my head off.


By the time we settled Mr. Monster Fern and cleaned up, it was already 2 am and we completely knocked out after that.

What an adventure.

p/s: the photo above isn’t the Monster Fern, just a picture that I’ve gotten from the net. I’ll take a shot of Monster Fern when he’s settled down at our new place. Monster Fern is way bigger than that… …

1 comment:

Petunia Lee said...

This is such a funny post!