Sunday, June 20, 2010

Impulse buys over the weekend… *argh!*

Between Hub and I, I am the frugal one.

No doubt, Hub has a good eye for esthetics, as you can easily tell from his dressing and the way he carries himself. In fact, many people have suspected that he…. hrm, belongs to the “happy” people, but rest assured, he’s just what we call a “metrosexual”.

As for me, I just try to look presentable and not disgrace my husband when we are out. I’ll put just enough make-up in order not to scare people; I make sure I smell clean, look clean and smart, and basically no-frills.

So, when it comes to buying furniture, Hub looks out for exquisite items that come in exquisite prices. I’m the practical one, if we were to buy anything expansive, it better be in a strategic location in the house where everyone can admire. That’s the whole point right? Or else, Ikea sells very decent looking furniture that can be quite chic, and at definitely more affordable prices as well!

So, during the weekend, Hub wants to buy this bedside table that I thought was ridiculously expensive. It’s a bedside table, for goodness sake, and who will notice a bedside table??? Guests will most probably spend 5 seconds touring the master bedroom and after that, just mingle around at the living/dinning area. Why spend such money on a bedside table that nobody will notice??? And the icing on the cake is that he intends to put it at MY side of the bed ‘cos he thinks it will fit better?!?!

I was stomping on my foot insisting that he shall not buy a useless piece of furniture until I saw the most beautiful “designer” planter box that is made of old teak. I basically went gaga over it and after stroking the planter box for the 2397th time, I decided that Hub should buy the planter box instead.

O, did I mention that I already have TWO build-in planter boxes in my new place…? But, but, but, that old-teak planter was SPEAKING to me!! I simply couldn’t resist…

And the planter box cost as much as the bedside table.

Eventually, instead of buying only one piece of furniture that we were supposed to, two happy people bought two silly pieces of furniture and made the furniture shop owner even happier.

Damn. What happened to the practical, frugal, old me?! Well, at least my beautiful planter box will be displayed right at the front door area, and not next to my bed!

1 comment:

Petunia Lee said...

Oh my goodness! You are sooooooooooo funny!!