Some people just have limitless amount of energy, not any old, how energy, but POSITIVE energy.As much as I can, I try to let myself to be surrounded by these people; to breathe in their positive vibes and bask in their positive glow. After that, I’ll find life is good again and I’ll be so damn happy and thankful that I’m alive and healthy, with a good head on my shoulders and 4 useful, working limbs.
The irony part is that, these people aren’t my high-flier friends who are making big bucks, but they are the parents or children whom I worked with, on every Saturday. As some of you may know, I volunteer with the RDA – Riders for the Disabled Association of Singapore, and it has been 2 very rewarding years since I first stepped into RDA.
I’ve learnt how to be grateful, how to have an open heart, how not to take things for granted, how vast a parent’s love can be and how strong and resilient these children/teens are. Sometimes, I feel ashamed of myself whenever I feel down, I mean, how bad can my problem/issue be, as compared to these children and parents who have to face everyday.
If they can make the best out of how little they have, the more I should work hard and accomplish what I have set myself to do. I started off with the thought of volunteering my time and give what ever little contribution back to the society, but it turns out that I am the one, who is receiving and learning so much more.
Next Saturday, 18 Sept 2010, RDA is organizing a fund-raising Fan-Fare where there will be Pony/Horse rides, Face-painting, Games, Food and Drinks stalls. Coupons of $20 will be sold on that day, and if anyone of you happens to be free or around the area, do come down with your little ones, to “horse” around with us! All funds raised will be donated to RDA.
I will definitely be there, of course. I am most probably taking the afternoon shift – 2.30 pm – 5 pm or so.
Add of RDA: 5 Jalan Mashhor, Singapore 299174. Tel: 6250 0176
RDA is just next to the Singapore Polo Club, behind the row of nurseries (FarEast Flora ..etc) along Thomson road.
1 comment:
interesting, isn't it?
I think that money-chasing people tend to be less happy, then they start to chase happiness, thinking that money can 'buy' the source of happiness. Of course, the other spectrum is that they are too poor to be happy... and worrying about basic necessities!
In the end, won't you want to learn how to draw that happiness out from yourself? Rather than bask in others? But even learn how you can contribute THAT aura of happiness? Just a provocative thought lah.
Post a Comment