Thursday, December 02, 2010







Environmental-friendly Xmas trees

My family, being old-school Chinese has never celebrated Xmas. I have never decorated a Xmas tree in my life nor have ever own one. And being a non-Christian, I spent my Christmases partying away during my younger days. Now that I'm older, Christmases are spent with friends, usually over dinners and some bottles of good wines.
Now that I finally have a place of my own, I'm thinking whether I should do up my place a little for the up-and-coming Xmas.
The no. 1 headache: the Xmas tree.
I'm not keen to buy a fake tree and having to worry about fitting that darn tree back to its box and where to store it for the next 11 months. Having a real Xmas tree, smelling of pines is very appealing but to spend hundreds of dollars on a single plant that last for only a few weeks, is like burning my hard-earned money. Not to mentioned all the decorations that I've to buy either.
So... I'm thinking of innovative ideas to make my own Xmas tree.
It'll be environmentall friendly, save me some cash and will most probably be a conversation piece during the Xmas party.
Kill many birds with 1 stone eh?
The above pictures are some ideas that I've stolen from the ever-resourceful Internet.
1) Choc-a-Box Xmas Tree: This is my no. choice as I do have a few vintage-looking luggages and boxes that I can stack up to form a Xmas tree, ala Picasso-style. Then maybe just buy some green or white streamers and a mega-big-ass star for the top of my Xmas tree to complete the look eh?
2) Beer bottles Xmas tree: Thinking about the amount of beer that Hub, our friends and I drank, I really could have made that Xmas trees IF I HAVE KEPT ALL THOSE BEER BOTTLES!!! Alas, all the beer bottles/cans have been sent to the recycling bin. Maybe I'll give this tree a try next year instead.
3) Hang-on-the-wall Xmas tree: This must be the most fuss-free of all. I have also thought of using a streamer to outline a Xmas tree on a wall, and ta-dah, A Xmas tree! But using a cloth or chalkboard is definitely more chic. In fact, the overall feel of Picture no. 3 will fit my aprtment very nicely.
4) Kachang-Puteh Xmas tree: The rolled-up "leaves" of this Xmas tree remind me of eating Kachang-puteh. This tree takes takes the most effort and I really doubt I have the time to make this tree at all. Nonetheless, it is done up very tastefully and maybe, in the future when I have my own child labour, I can bully them into making that tree. Hahaha...
Ok, will gotta convince/con/cheat Hub into this little project of mine... Hopefully it will be a success and I can post some pics!

2 comments:

Blur Ting said...

The first one is indeed the easiest but looking at the pictures, I am inclined to attempt creating the kachang puteh one!

My Sinfonia said...

I agree with Ting! The Kachang puteh one looks so cool and so Singaporean! I am going to put up my tree tonight:D