Tuesday, February 22, 2011

15 hrs a day, how long can you last?


I’ve always wondered how do some people work 15 hrs a day, EVERYDAY?


We are talking about a competitive and intense environment where you eat at your desk during lunches AND dinners, with non-existence breaks. The only break is to dash to the toilet for 30 seconds and you are back slogging away at your desk.


We are talking about fellow colleagues being mean to each other and yelling at each other because everyone is just so overworked. The vicious cycle goes on and on… … …


How do these people do it?


I can maybe do something like that for say, 2 weeks max, and yes, I have had pulled such hours in my younger days, but not EVERYDAY. Only when I need to meet a deadline… …


But now, Hub is working 15 hrs everyday, Monday to Friday. The only consolation is that his weekends, so far, have been free. *touch wood*


Every time when I facetime Hub using the Iphone 4, I can tell that he is looking more haggard day by day and he is getting grumpier by the day.


I would also pull a black face if I have to work from 8.30 am to 11.30 pm EVERYDAY, with lunches at 3 pm at my desk and dinner at 10.30 pm at my bloody desk again.


I want to tell my husband that we don’t need a lot of money to be happy.


I’ll rather that we spend time with each other, stay in a HDB flat, and don’t drive a car (not that we have one anyway). We’ll just take occasional holidays to M’sia but we’ll be happy. I don’t need expensive handbags or shoes or any stupid diamonds.


Beanie doesn’t have to go to those branded childcare or expensive enrichment lessons.


I just want my husband to be his jovial self again. Less stress, less angst, more love and awareness towards himself and his loved ones.


I can’t wait for his posting in HK to be over. Haiz… 10 more months to go.

4 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Poor husband of yours! This was partly why I converted to part-time work. My husband needed me to support and feed him emotional strength to get through the gruelling hours.

My Sinfonia said...

Oh you tormented one...to see your loved one like that. I had a life like that once. No fun and terribly stressed. I was doing the merger of 2 banks and all 15 of us were crammed in a conference room with our computers for months with files all over. Hang in there - you and hubby.

D said...

Ten months will pass soon enough. I'm sure that he will appreciate that you (and Beanie) are standing on his side this whole time; and to catch him when he falls flat and tired on his face when this stint is over.

I'm also slowly learning that happiness is much simpler and cheaper than I had imagined.

Stay strong!

Blur Ting said...

The corporate environment can be so unkind. Not only your husband suffers, you're all alone here, feeling ill and anxious over the pregnancy. If you need support or company, give me a holler ok?