Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Potty Training Part 1


So I have officially started potty training on Beanie about 2 weeks ago, when she was about 17 months. Actually I have tried to start potty training even earlier, at about 1 year old. I wanted her to sit on the potty, just so that she would be comfortable with the idea of sitting on a potty.

At 1 year old, I thought she she was too young to understand the concept of pooping and peeing into a potty, so my training was ad-hoc and haphazard. I wasn't consistent and after while, for some reason, Beanie started to resist the potty. She refused to sit on the potty and would scream bloody murder whenever I took out the potty.

Ok, fine. Since I thought she was too young to understand, I let her be and we took a break from potty training.

Then I read a few parenting books and most (if not all, except for the book featured in the picture above) indicated that toddlers "have to be ready mentally and biologically" before they can start potty training. The books advise that toddlers at age 18-24 months will be mentally and biologically developed enough to grasp the concept of potty training and if you were to start younger, you are only wasting your time and causing undue stress to the babies or toddlers.

I totally DISAGREE with that.

I noticed that Beanie has understood the concept of peeing and pooping into the potty when she was at about 12-14 months, but because she is so used to pooping in her diapers while in a standing position, she rejects the potty by choice.

So, if a baby has started potty training early and has gotten used to the idea of peeing and pooping into the potty from a really young age, the baby should be diaper-free (during the day time) by 20 months or so.

Instead, now I have to break Beanie's habit of pooping in her diaper although she is clearly aware of the existence of the potty but chooses NOT to use it.

I personally find the book: Diaper-Free Before 3 by Dr Jill M.Lekovic to be very useful and I'm using her tips to potty train Beanie now.

As of now, Beanie is willing to sit in her potty willingly although I do need to use my Iphone to entice her. It is the only time where she gets to play with my phone, so she associates sitting on a potty to "happy time with the iPhone". She has also peed in the potty a few times but still refusing to poop in the potty.

Meanwhile, Beanie is also back to wearing cloth diapers and training pants at home, so that she gets to feel the wetness of her pants whenever she wets herself and hopefully, that will prompt her to signal her desire to pee before she actually wets herself.

And to my visitors for the coming Chinese New Year, I will strongly advise you NOT to sit on my carpet since Beanie has peed there a few times already! ;)



2 comments:

Karmeleon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karmeleon said...

The bother of toilet training. haha. Somehow the kids grow up and they are done with diapers! My eldest girl was done with daytime by 3 but nighttime was until around 6 or 7!. Thankfully the boys were fine by around 3yrs old for both day & night.

For the youngest -*groan*.. the thought of toilet-training? Urgh. I didn't want to think about it!!! Just hoped that it would magically happens . Anyway, what hastened the event was that I found a preschool I liked, but the Principal says its better that the child is aware and toilet-trained, altho' it really would be so easy for her to have them all in diapers, but she stressed that it's not good for the child's development.

Oh well.. so we tried. My youngest was 2yo then. I just did it the hardcore way. haha. Bought enough training pants (bright bots) to last for several days at a time and took him off diapers. He got the idea. Was trained quite quickly in around 2mths, before school year started, both day & night. Whew!!!