Monday, July 08, 2013
Pig's trotters in black vinegar
Inspired by Petunia's post on pig's trotters in black vinegar, I decided to cook my very own as well! It has been a long time since I had pig's trotters in black vinegar. I used 2 front trotters, some "muscle meat" for my hubby who prefers lean meat, black fungus and eggs.
Pig's trotters in black vinegar is a classic confinement dish and it is my all time favorite confinement food. I can eat this every week, I swear. Thankfully Hubby and my in-laws are huge fan of pig's trotters in black vinegar too, so that big pot was finished to the very last drop in one setting. No left overs at all!
Looking at Petunia's recipe, she used 2 types of black vinegar: sweet rice vinegar and black rice vinegar. For me, I only used 1 type: the Bull Dog Brand Black Rice Vinegar.
It comes in "single strength" or "double strength" where "double strength" is about 1.5X the price of the "single strength". I have previously only used "double strength" since that was what my mom and my confinement lady used as well.
But this time round, I've decided to give "single strength" a try, to test whether is there any difference. The verdict: no significant difference. However, the "single strength" wasn't as sweet as the "double strength", so I had to add a lot more black sugar, in order to have the same sweetness.
Another interesting fact that I have learnt about this Bull Dog Brand Black Rice Vinegar: it is manufactured in Singapore. Wow... our very own local brand!
Yummy. Looking forward to cook another pot in a month's time! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I wonder what I'm missing actually.. Since I don't like pork.. Because this is beginning to sound delicious. Humph. I wonder if I can use chicken instead
Yummy! Now I am inspired to cook it too although I have never cooked it myself before. My confinement nanny and my aunt used to prepare it for me during my confinement.
Post a Comment