Sunday, May 04, 2008

Pain management

Labour Day weekend didn’t work out well for me…

I took the Friday off to stay at home to study for my up-and-coming CFA Level 2 exam on 8 June, and somehow with a combination of bad posture, bad chair (chair with a soft cushion seat is bad for backs!) and bad luck, I ended up with a HORRIBLE backache on Saturday and for the rest of the week, I bet… …

Sigh.

I actually woke up at 7 am on Saturday, wanted to do a 7 km run and while I was putting on my sports gear, I noticed something funky was going on with my back. And before I could proceed out of the front door, the dull ache became increasing painful and while I was about to step into the lift, I had a really sharp pain shooting from my lower back, all the way to the INSIDE of my hip, I knew something was wrong.

I couldn’t believe it. How could I suffer from such a backache just from sitting on a bad chair?!!?

The pain was just getting worse and worse, until I really had difficulties walking and decided to pay Sinseh a visit AGAIN.

This is the 2nd time that I am suffering from a lower back pain w/n 6 months. The last backache was from a yoga session in Dec07, and luckily I managed to recover in about 2 weeks and that wasn’t as painful as this current episode.

Actually, I do have a confession to make; I suffer from a condition called Scoliosis, which basically means that I have a curve spine. So, one side of my hip is higher, while one side of my shoulder is lower. I got this condition ever since I was a teenager and have more or less come to terms with it. It wasn’t serious enough to go for surgery and so far, it hasn’t really given me any problem except a bad episode of a minor slipped disc in 2003 (but I fully recovered from that) and occasions of minor aches now and then.

But as I increase on my intensity of running and training, it seems to me that really BAD backaches seem to be recurring. And I am really uncomfortable with that.

Sigh. I’m going to see a doctor later to get a referral to see a specialist in Orthopedic. Cant help being a bit depressed right now, as I am really looking forward to doing a full marathon at the end of the year. I wouldn’t be surprise if the doctor were to tell me that I should quit running and try lower impact sports like swimming.

So, to all those people with beautiful, straight and healthy spines, please appreciate and take good care of your backs. You have no idea how much I wish that I can have a straight spine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope u be better.
Thanks for making me appreciate what i have.