Chen Su Lan Children’s Home
Sat: 28 Jun 2008 (9am to 1 pm)
Attended a “birthday party” at 930 am (Yes, 930 freaking A.M) at Chen Su Lan Children’s home, located at Serangoon Garden and it was the most meaningful birthday party that I have ever attended.
Kel is the bday boy and this time round, he wanted to do something really special and meaningful, so he called up the children’s home and offered to organize games, “tuition session” and a Happy Meal Feast (with Kung Fu Panda toys) for the kids from 9 am to 1 pm.
Usually the kids get to go home during the weekends, but that’s provided that they have a “home” to go back to. If both of their parents, say are in jail, in rehab, or not in any capacity to take care of children, the kids will stay at the children’s home for an extended period of time…
It was really heart-breaking to see some of them… some of them are so young, only 6 yrs old. Some of them were really noisy with little attention span, some were so quiet and withdrawn, but a big proportion were just curious kids who really appreciated our presence, the Happy Meals, the toys and “goodie bags” that the Bday boy, Kel had prepared for them.
Each kid received a soft toy and a pencil case with pencils, pens, little toys, erasers and other little stationary. One of my favorite boys was so excited to finally own something of his own (instead of sharing with other children), that he kept shouting at me, jumping up and down, “Chatz (Sis), See! See! I have my own pen! See, I have my own pencil box!” He looked so happy and excited and kept touching his soft toy and pencil case.
I, on the other hand, was trying really very hard not to tear in front of him… …
Currently, I’m considering whether I wana be a long-term volunteer of this children’s home. Wanted to offer to give free tuition on Saturdays BUT the caregiver said that tuitions are only given during the weekdays and weekends are for the children to rest and play. Hmmm… thinking maybe I can offer to teach hip hop or salsa if the kids are willing to learn…
No comments:
Post a Comment