Sunday, May 15, 2011

Minimalistic parenting

Now that most people around me noticed my bump, many asked me 2 questions:
1) So… when are you getting a car?
2) Are you getting a maid?

My answer: No and No.

Then most will stare at me in disbelief and some will even smirk and give me a “I-see-how-long-you-can-last” kind of look. Well… I, myself am also curious to how long I can last without a car or a domestic stay-in helper when Beanie finally arrives.

Hub and I can definitely afford a car if we want to, but for what? To park in office? After doing our sums, maintaining a car actually costs more than our current HDB mortgage. We’ll rather save that money for our 2nd property in time to come.

As for a stay-in domestic helper, I do not need one now as I am staying alone and I have a part-time helper who comes in once a week and I think that is more than enough. When Beanie arrives, and if I cannot cope, I will request my part-time helper to come over twice a week instead of once.

I will be lying if I said I wasn’t tired by the end of a work day and yet I still gotta do laundry or cook dinner for myself and wash up as well. But… I enjoy the independence, I enjoy the peace and quiet time that I have to myself and to my cat. While doing these household chores, I take it as exercise and it isn’t that much of a big deal.

I hope I can set myself as an example to Beanie, who learns by watching that a responsible adult will do his/her own chores and helps to clear the mess in the house. Monkeys see, monkeys do right?

I also don’t believe in buying expensive toys or items for babies and children because they outgrow these toys/items in a flash. Hand-me downs are a god-send, and I personally do not encourage consumerism. “Buy/Use what you need” is my mantra, although I must admit that little girls’ clothes and accessories are like the cutest things in the world.

So, currently I am having ideas about hand-making some soft toys and simple dresses for Beanie Girl when I am done with my CFA exam in June. Hmmm… I am not a art-&-craft person, but the thought of making little stuffed rabbits and cutesy patchwork dresses is kind of exciting!

2 comments:

Blur Ting said...

I salute your thinking! I hope you can get some form of help with the baby during the early days. Before I delivered my first kid, I thought I would have plenty of time to rest and read. The hard truth is, when baby arrives, the amount of attention you need to give her is endless. It's an endless cycle of feeding, burping, cleaning up. Trust me, I have been there. I thought I might be one of the lucky ones with an angel for a baby but man, I was totally drained.

Wen-ai said...

O yes, I have booked a confinement lady for 2 months and I hope that will be sufficient? after the 1st 2 months, I will see how things go then... *super cross fingers*