GE 2011
Now that the General Election is over, time for some reflection and analysis.
I stay in Bishan-TPY constituency where SPP was contesting under the leadership of Mr. Chiam. I admire Mr’s Chiam’s dedication and perseverance for the past 27 years in his service to the residents of Potang Pasir, despite the lack of resources. And for that, I have given him, my vote.
Unfortunately, it was not meant to be and it seems to me that he will most probably retire from politics for good. Although he has put up a good fight, his greatest weakness was the lack of proper renewal plan for his party. The new candidates whom Mr. Chiam had recruited joined the party too late and didn’t have the time to work the ground.
SPP’s mandate: “Service before self” comes across as a mandate for a volunteer group. There wasn’t a very clear indication of what SPP really stands for. So, moving forward, If SPP is serious about setting itself as a credible political party, it has to differentiate itself from WP and SDP from a political stand-point.
Most Singaporeans are a practical bunch. At the end of the day, we are concerned about bread-and-butter issues like housing, jobs and cost of living. The grudge against the mass influx of foreign talents only heated up when local infrastructure (ie: public transport and public housing) weren’t ready to accommodate the recent increase and these issues are affecting our lives.
Ideologies such as democracy, fair-play and justice within the political climate simply do not register with a typical Singaporean if he/she has a high paying job, gets her HDB flat on his/her first ballot (without paying through his/her nose) or basically a comfortable life.
WP has recognized the pragmatism of most Singaporeans, and thus more Singaporeans can relate themselves to the party. (Me, for sure). Some other parties campaigned for true blue democracy and other very idealistic notions that I am not interested in.
Without food in your stomach, without a job to pay your bills, without a roof over your head, talking about democracy doesn’t get you anywhere in life.
Most Singaporeans are a well travelled bunch. I don’t about you, but when I visit neighboring countries, I do count my lucky stars that I am a Singaporean. In fact, even when I was having long vacations in developed countries, I still give thanks to the fact that I am born in Singapore, have a decent paying job, to enjoy a relative high quality of life which isn’t that far off from a first-world, developed nation.
I hope the ruling party will truly “reform” and reconnect with its fellow citizens. I am looking forward to how policies will be penned out for the next 5 years. In fact, this year’s National Day Rally will most probably be a very interesting one!
Now that the election is over, let all Singaporeans come together and work towards a better future. For ourselves, for our children, for our beloved country, Singapore.
Monday, May 09, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh... me too. I hope they change.
Post a Comment