Monday, July 04, 2011

Will you eat your own placenta?

Have any of you mummies out there consumed your own placenta? The thought of stir-frying my placenta is a bit too hard core for me, but placenta encapsulation seems very do-able.

The placenta contains very high level of prostaglandin which stimulates the shrinking of the uterus (ie: I can get back into shape faster and bleed less!), as well as small amounts of oxytocin which is basically a "feel-good" hormone that can ease post-natal depression and even promote breastmilk supply.

Although there isn't any real, scientific evidence that consumption of own placenta will truely reap the above mentioned benefits... but no harm right? It's my own placenta anyway.

The only catch is that I gotta find a reliable "service provider" that can ensure that the whole process of placenta encapsulation is done in a very hygienic manner and the placenta is indeed mine!

I managed to find 2 such "service providers" online and reviews from forums seem encouraging.

Am I the only crazy woman here who wana eat her own placenta??? None of my friends had done it, so I am on my own here. Hub is very supportive. In fact, he has heard about how the placenta can improve one's complexion and he wana eat MY placenta as well?!?! He is even wondering about the "texture of the placenta and suggest that we should stir-fry it with ginger and spring onions, just like pig's liver and do a taste test..."

And I thought I'm the crazy woman... guess there's a reason why we are married to each other. HAHAHA... Anyway, I told him that the placenta is full of FEMALE hormones, so unless he wana grow some "man-boobs", I seriously dont think it's a good idea for him to eat MY placenta. My placenta is ALL MINE to eat!

5 comments:

Blur Ting said...

You're adventurous! I won't eat mine. My friend dried hers (under the sun I think) and ground it into powder for consumption later. She says it is a Malay tradition.

My Sinfonia said...

My god, i must have been living in the caves. Never even heard of it! You hubby is really quite game!

dreamer said...

Someone in my antenatal class is planning to collect her placenta but seems to be struggling to find someone to collect and process it hygienically for consumption purposes. Have you researched if these hormones are indeed still present once it detaches from your body? Or if these hormones can last through collection, process / preservation and then the cooking process for you to reap all the claimed benefits? I guess if you are going through the trouble, best to confirm in advance? :) But no, I don't think you are mad. LOL. If the service is available here, I'd prob consider it!

Petunia Lee said...

Oh wow!! I won't eat mine. Pig's liver already puts me off. But I told my daughter that when I die, she is to turn me into a diamond and wear me or frame me up.

Wen-ai said...

Dreamer: I'm sure some nutrients will be lost during the processing but from what I know, it is still beneficial to consume the dried placenta. Cost about S$300 to process and encapsule it. Not too bad, I guess!

Petunia: Haha, I said the VERY SAME THING to hub, about turning me into a diamond. He made a face and said that I'm morbid. *sniff* Maybe I'll suggest to Beanie when she's bigger instead. Heh...