Home alone with Beanie
Although I am Beanie's main (more like the ONLY) caregiver, I cannot possibly carry her all the time. However, Beanie's attention span in her baby gym is about 10 mins on good days, and more often than not, 10 seconds.
So I usually end up either putting her in a sling and sling her around while I do my housework or put in her stroller and push the stroller around the flat.
Guess these are better alternatives than a screaming baby. Sometimes I wonder whether am I spoiling her by slinging her around all the time. Hmmm, textbooks call this method "attached parenting". According to my mom, I'm spoiling her rotten. But my mom is not the one who has to deal with a screaming baby 24/7 ALONE. So, I'll do whatever it takes to save my sanity.
Anyway, I started sleep training for the 3rd time last night. The first 2 attempts failed miserably where I had to deal with a screaming Beanie for 2 solid hours ALONE at 3 am in the morning. After 2 traumatic nights , I simply do not have the courage to try again until last night.
I noticed that Beanie now has the capacity to sleep up to 6 hours at a time, but she will still wake up at 2-3 am for a comfort suck. So last night, I refused to nurse her and gave her a bottle of water and pacifier instead.
Of course, she was angry and screamed as usual, but after 30 mins (just when I was just about to give in), she started to whimper and within minutes, she actually dozed off.
WHOOHOO!
She then woke up at 6 am, gulped my milk and happily made cute "ah-goos" until about 8 am, and dozed off again.
I will stick to this sleep training routine and hopefully she can start to sleep through the night from 730 pm to 6 am.
Wish me luck!
3 comments:
Oh, I know what you mean! I used to love carrying my kids (esp YK) around. Yes, this will spoil the kid but I really can't put up with a baby's whining and crying. The bond will be very close.
She is growing very well indeed, and you are an amazingly well informed and competent Mommy (for a first-timer and compared to the wreck that I was).
A screaming baby and a panda heh? Won't be long before life gets easier :)
Post a Comment