Monday, March 19, 2012

Separation Anxiety
Little Beanie is not taking to the nanny well. Sigh.

Since early this month, I have started to drop Beanie at the nanny's place for half a day, usually from 1 pm to about 530 pm. We started by going over to the nanny's place in the morning and I stayed with her for the whole of 4 hours for 5 consecutive days. On the following week, I followed the new routine and when I said my good byes to a oblivious Beanie, I thought I had skipped the whole separation anxiety episode, until 2mins later Beanie realized that "hey, mommy isn't here anymore" and then she started screaming. And screamed she did. She screamed and screamed and refused to drink milk or water. She kicked away her toys and became inconsolable. My nanny was totally stunned. What happened to the happy baby???

It has already been 2 weeks but Beanie is still refusing milk, water and nap at the nanny's place. And she will cry so pitifully when I leave that it's breaking my heart.

And when she is back home, she will then wallop down a big bowl of porridge, drinks her milk like she has been starved for days and then K.O by 730 pm.

According to my nanny, Beanie will still cry and be cranky for hours. Only to be bribed for a few mins of silence by her favorite snacks or biscuits. But a baby cannot snack for 4 hrs right? She refuses to nap or nap for only 20-30 mins whereas her usually afternoon nap is about 1-1.5 hrs.

My nanny, who is this kind granny in her late 60s is also getting tired of Beanie's incessant cries. She told me subtly that if Beanie con't to be this difficult. she might not want to babysit Beanie anymore.

;( I really hope that Beanie will get used to the nanny soon. Sigh...






3 comments:

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh dear oh dear... :(

Petunia Lee said...

Have you tried the gradual stretch strategy? On Day 1, you leave her with Nanny for 5 minutes in room without you. Explain when you leave that you need to go to toilet. Come bacj after 5. Slowly lengthen to 10, then 15... then 1hr... then 1.5 hrs and each time, you tell you need to pee and will come back because you love her and want to be with her and will never leave her...

Wen-ai said...

Petunia: I was with her for 4 hours for the 1st five days. then after that, I was away for 2 hrs, then slowly for 4 hrs. But Beanie, on good days, still cry for 2 hrs. Anyway, the nanny has thrown in the towel, she has quit on me. Her last day was last thursday. Now, I need to find another nanny. QUICKLY! Argh...