Friday, September 28, 2012

Book Review: Internal Drive Theory, Motivate your child to want to study



OK, this book review is way over due. I have actually finished reading the book months earlier but somehow simply did not have the time to write a proper review.

I am very proud to say that I actually know the author of this book: Internal Drive Theory, Motivate your child to want to study. How cool is that?! You can find out more about the author, Dr Petunia Lee and her book here.

Alright, back to the book review, here's what I like about the book:

i) It is is very easy to read. When I am reading the book, it feels like Petunia is talking to me. Concepts are clearly put across and easily understood.

ii) It is written within the context of Singapore's education system, which to me, is very important. I have read other books regarding early childhood and Home-schooling, but those books are written by authors who are from less rigorous education systems. Singapore's education system is not for the faint-hearted. We all know how competitive it is and this book shares tips and methods to encourage and motivate your child to want to excel in his/her school work.

iii) Real live examples. Petunia conducts her "experiments" on her son, so her methods are tried and tested with success! I guess it also helps that I read Petunia's blog regularly, and thus I can relate to her and her son, Little Boy very well.

iv) Very cute illustrations. Petunia's daughter is quite an artist! She designed the cover page, as well as all the illustrations in the book. These cute drawings kept me very entertained! ;)

v) Realistic. This book is written from the perspective of a mother. Other than to motivate your child to want to excel in his/her school work, this book also sets the right tone in encouraging parents to teach their children the important values in life.

In conclusion, I will definitely recommend this book to parents who have young children. In fact, I can foresee myself re-reading this book again and again when Beanie starts her primary education.

3 comments:

My Sinfonia said...

wow, you are miles ahead in reading up about it alright! ;) Obviously I won't be reading Pet's book, unfortunately. But I am sure its a scream and right to the point.

Blur Ting said...

I like the way you review in point form. You're right. Teaching kids is not easy but Petunia is an engaging writer who makes the process interesting.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I'm wayyyyyyyy behind in my reading but this book is definitely something I'm going to use on Little N.