Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beanie's music classes

"Mom, you want me to play your violin as a cello?"

Caveat: I am not musically inclined and I barely can play the violin.

I am the least qualified music teacher in the world to teach my daughter music. But she is only 14 months old and seriously, I am too cheapskate to pay a few hundred bucks a month to expose her to music in those chi-chi music lessons, where I can actually do the same at home.

Well.... I did learn the violin before. So I have the Suzuki Violin CDs level 1 and 2, which I play once a week to conduct these "music classes" with Beanie. Whenever I play the CDs, I would hold her in my arms and dance around the house, according to the rhythm of the music. 

Beanie enjoyed the whole dancing-to-the-rhythm exercise because she:
1) got the chance to be carried by me (I seldom carry her at home because I want her to learn to play independently)
2) we jiggled around the house and when the tempo got fast, I started to swing her in the air and she would scream with joy. That adrenaline junkie!

As for me, it would be a TOTAL work-out. Try carrying a 10 kg bag of rice and jiggle around the house for like 10 mins.

After that, we would sit on the floor and I would then clap my hands or snap my fingers according to the rhythm of the music. Beanie would sometimes imitate me by clapping along, or she would simply shake her bum-bum according to the music and dance.

Sometimes I would take out my violin to let her play with it, or I would play a simple song, usually Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars. 

The "music class" seldom last more than 15-20 mins. Her attention span is only that long. After that, she will either just wander around the house or go to her toy box to dig out her favorite toys. 

There, I just saved myself a few hundred bucks a month. Ha!



3 comments:

Blur Ting said...

That is better than the best music lesson out there!

Karmeleon said...

Haha... I never thought much of those play play music classes. To me, they must have some substance, at least.

I did go with Jr for fairly interesting lessons at staccato For a few months where they cover classical works and went through rhythm and musical terms in very interesting ways and gave me lots of ideas.

Karmeleon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.