Sunday, October 14, 2012

Little Picasso at work





To encourage creativity and to hone Beanie's fine motor skills, I stuck 2 pieces of mahjiong papers on the walls of my balcony to allow her to scribble and draw freely at her will.

I would first demonstrate by drawing apples and stars, sang happy songs to keep the session fun and interesting.

However, Beanie doesn't like to draw. She would either just stare at me blankly and then ran away to chase after Cookie for like the 100th times since 7 am in the morning, or she would just open my drawers and cupboards and proceed to empty them.

Nonetheless, I persisted. I continued with the "art class" weeks after weeks.

When I gave her crayons, she ended up using her little fingers to scrape and dig at the tips of the crayons.

When I gave her chalk, she had more fun breaking the chalk to small pieces and subsequently she tried to eat them!

When I gave her magic pens, she ended up drawing her hands, which I am ok with. At least she was drawing something!

But she has absolutely no interest in drawing on the mahjiong paper.

So one day, I bought water soluble paints and a brush and showed her how to paint.

Finally, she managed to keep herself busy for like 15 minutes! She was intrigued by the water changing color whenever she dipped the brush. She enjoyed splashing water all over the place and most importantly, she finally got the idea of holding the brush and begun to paint!

Yeah! That's an important milestone in my opinion!

If only the mess wasn't such a pain. Thankfully the helper could help me with the cleaning up!

1 comment:

Petunia Lee said...

That girl is one lucky baby. I almost wish you're my Mom!!