Thursday, December 02, 2004


This is how I have been feeling ever since I am back in Singapore. Girls in Singapore are too bloody skinny!!!

For those who have heard me whine ever since I am back in Singapore… they would have realized that I only whine about one thing – My Weight.

Before I start whining AGAIN about how fat I think I am, let’s do a flash back to Chicago just a few months back… …

Shux ( a fellow Singaporean girl): I think I will have to lose a few pounds before heading home for Chinese New Year…

Me: HUH? Are you crazy? You are not fat at all… what are you talking about?

Shux: Girls in Singapore are so skinny… I will look fat by Singaporean’s standard.

Me (looking at her in horror): I’m sure not everyone is as superficial as you think; friends and family will still accept the way you are….

I AM DEAD WRONG!!!

Ever since I am back, I have lost count of the numbers of comments I have received regarding to the way I look. Friends, cousins, aunties, uncles, even my own mum and boyfriend commented that I have bloated.

“Wah… why you so fat now???”

“You a bit the bah bah now huh!”

“How come you face so swollen one???”

Sigh… the perils of staying in America and eating American food had finally caused my downfall. One out of every 3 Americans are considered obese, and I am considered sexy and slim in their eyes.

I have never ever imagine that I have to battle with my weight since I have always been a scrawny kid ever since from school, in fact, I used to get FREE milk from my primary school’s canteen because I was considered severely underweight. And in my secondary school days, I have been advised to eat more or else I’ll start being 2 dimensional instead of 3.

O well… Those were the good old days…

However, the funniest thing is that I have only put on a max of 2 to 3 kg during these 2 years (if my weighing scale is accurate)… and people reacted as if I have put on 30 kg.

The social pressure to be slim is tremendous in Singapore, with all the slimming advertisements, slimming pills, as well as, slimming spas and salons, advocating that Slim = Beautiful. Regardless whether one looks anorexic or unhealthy.

Thus, being spineless… I am now also being brainwashed by these horrible people who urge me to lose all my previous fats and flabs. Now being on a diet and some exercise regime has already trimmed me down a little.

Despite of me complaining and whining about how unreasonably skinny most Singaporean girls, I do long for the days where I can be toned, firm and lean again.

Nonetheless, enough is enough! I am going slap the next person who dares to make a comment that I am fat.

No comments: