Monday, January 31, 2005

For those who can, Teach.

I am a relief teacher now. Teaching lower secondary English and Math.

Quite a number of my friends burst out laughing when I told them that I am a teacher for the time being.

Yup… for your information, I have once thought about going into teaching… moulding our future generation into fine young men and women, changing their lives and in return, change mine… … But after a harrowing experience with the kids, I’ll have to say “Thanks… but no thanks!”

Being a teacher is HARD WORK! Besides teaching 40 kids per class and mind you, teachers usually have about 4 classes under their belts, these saints are also bogged down by tons of admin work. Marking of papers, preparing of lessons, setting of test papers, collection of health booklets, dental care forms and other rubbish, being in charge of CCAs, scolding talkative kids, puking blood, and banging head against the wall… … All these are the daily chores of a typical teacher.

I have never appreciated my teachers more… and I am truly sorry for all the troubles I had gotten into when I was still a feisty kid.

KUDOS to the teachers!!!

Just the stress of dealing with kids is enough to drive anyone mad… the amount of energy a teacher must possess to motivate a class of 40 kids is tremendous… and most of all, one must have the patience and compassion for children who are rebellious.

After two weeks of screaming at kids… my white flag is up. I can’t wait to surrender. Miss Haj (the teacher whom I am relieving), can you please come back ASAP!!! *wail*
Meanwhile, I have to hang on for another 1.5 weeks before I can hand over those kids to their rightful form teacher, Miss Haj…

Back to more serious matters… there are a few improvements which I feel that MOE (Ministry of Education) of Singapore should really look into:

1) Teaching Assistants

In order to teach effectively, teachers should not be overloaded with other non-teaching tasks. Instead of spending more time assessing their students or improving their methods of teaching, teachers are spending previous time on non-value adding tasks such as collection of funds, organising of school events and daily admin work. If MOE can ration one teaching assistant to every 4 teachers, Im sure it will lighten the load of the teachers significantly. Remember, teacher is meant to teach and not be an event planner/class treasurer/secretary.

2) Reduce the number of students per class (Even for neighbourhood schools)

Currently, there are about 40 students per class and I just found out how impossible it is to handle 40 children at any given time. We are talking about kids between 13 to 14 years old, where they are at the transition stage between children and teenagers. Thus, a certain degree of “mothering” is still expected, yet at the same time, teachers must bear in mind to allow space for students to develop their independence. If the class size can be reduce to between 25 to 30 students per class, this will enable the teachers to shower more attention to each student, focusing on individual’s learning capacity; as well as allowing the teachers to have more control over the class.

Teaching is indeed a rewarding career; it is very amusing and enlightening when students come up with creative ideas and solutions to either school related problems or the little hiccups in daily activities.

In any case… to all difficult parents out there, give the teachers a break. If handling your own children is already giving you a headache, imagine TEACHING 40 kids. You will start vomiting blood by the end of the day.









No comments: