Thursday, January 06, 2011

This is exactly what I do NOT want for my CNY decors!



Xmas is over and Chinese New Year is coming!

So I’ve kept my Xmas tree and all the Xmas decorations, and can’t help thinking that my flat looks kind of lifeless and boring right now.

Doing up my place for Xmas was easy, I mean, how wrong can Xmas decorations be right?

But Chinese New Year is a totally different story. I can’t help to notice that most Chinese New Year decoration looks tacky and really awful.

The thought of RED hongpaos and RED lanterns or anything RED is already giving me a headache. So, how can I do up my place tastefully with Chinese New Year Décor?

This will be a hard nut to crack… …

The easiest option is to buy pots of auspicious flowers like “lucky” Bamboo, Mandarin Orange/Lime plants, CocksComb, Phoenix Tails, Chilli Padi, Chrysanthemum and, of course, Pussy Williows.

But I know that these pots of plants cannot last and will most probably die within a month or so. The thought of buying plants and LET THEM DIE is a flawed concept. I simply cannot do it. The browning of the leaves and the dropping of the flowers will definitely upset me. I cannot witness a plant dying in front of my eyes and yet don’t do anything about it.

So, that brings me to the other option of buying FAKE plants and flowers. I don’t know about you, but I’ve NEVER seen a fake plant that looks remotely real. Most fake flowers are simply TOO over-the-top, with their overly reds, pinks and yellows. Such vibrant and unnatural colors also give me a headache.

So, how am I going to do it? How to create the spirit for the up-and-coming Chinese New Year without looking cheesy, “ching-chong” and tacky?

Any suggestions???

3 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Make a simple flower arrangement using pussy willow?

My Sinfonia said...

How about using the money and buying some Chinese craft/antique pieces?

Wen-ai said...

Thanks for the suggestions! Im still cracking my head over this! and now that Hubby is already in HK, it's also kind of difficult for me to execute any BIG plans by myself.