Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Tiger Daddy vs The Koala Mommy

So, many fellow bloggers, journalists and friends have made many comments about Amy Chua, the Tiger Mother and her parenting style.

I personally will not make any comments on her style since she is the mother of her children and she can do whatever she wants with them. Her methods might deem as extreme but I believe that it stems from the fact that she loves her children very much and wants the best for them.

I, myself is not a Tiger mommy. In fact, if there’s any animal to describe my parenting style, it will most probably be a Koala Bear. Yup, a tree hugger, take-it-easy, extremely laid-back to the point of almost lazy, Koala Bear.

I’ll most probably focus on teaching my kid(s) how to look as cute as possible like a koala, so that everyone else will be at their beck and call. This is an extremely important life skill that many parents have neglected. I’ll also bring them to parks and beaches to appreciate plants and open spaces, will also teach them how to climb trees since I, myself was a tree climbing expert in Primary School. We’ll just spend a lot of time hugging and cuddling each other, making each other laugh. We’ll learn music, dance, poetry, art & crafts because it will be fun. We’ll also do sports like tennis, golf, cycling, karting, wrestling or sailing because they are fun, fun fun.

I’ll urge and encourage them to put in their best effort in everything that they do, and hopefully they will want to excel because they take pride in themselves instead of using threats and canes. But of course, Koala Mommy will need to discipline the little koalas if they are naughty or misbehaved. Have u seen how a real Koala Mommy discipline her cubs? She will grunt and bellow like a cow. Imagine, a cute koala suddenly yelling at you like a cow… scary rite?

As for Hub, he is the classic Tiger Daddy. He’s very competitive, has super high and unrealistic expectations, and expects his cubs to ace every single academic subject and represent Singapore in some International Mathematics and Science competition. He and Amy Chua can be best friends.

End of the day, I just hope that the kids will eventually turn out to be a koala on the outside but a tiger in the inside! Best of both worlds!

2 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Koalas may be laid back but they can be very aggressive when threatened. So don't mess around with the Koala mummy!! :-)

Petunia Lee said...

I think you will be a wonderful Mommy. To begin with, you are already figuring out how you wanna Mommy someone...