Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Gardening Woes I have no idea what is the name of this plant, but I call it the "heart-shape leaves" plant. I have quite a few of these. At least they are doing well. The wrinkled leaves of my Frangipani.
The "botak" brunch. ;( And there are some mealybugs on the new buds.

Help! Not many leaves on my Frangipani Tree... ;(



I have a serious case of mealybugs infestation, especially on my Frangipani tree. I have been battling these bugs for the past few months and they seem to be winning the war!


Most of the new leaves of the Frangipani are wrinkled and some of the older leaves are full of these pesty mealybugs!!! I used white neem oil to spray on the leaves every 3 days or so, but it didn't seem to be working.


So out of desperation, I used my own home-made pesticide, a concoction of olive oil, dishwashing detergent and water. But I guess I was overzealous with the amount of oil used and I ended up killing the leaves instead of the bugs instead!


Almost all of the leaves of the Frangipani withered and dropped off. But I figured that the bugs would die with the leaves right?


Unfortunately that wasn't the case! Once the new leaves appear, I began to see the same irritating mealybugs on the new shoots again! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So, I am back to spraying white neem oil on the leaves once again. To make matters worse, some of my other plants within the same planter box are also showing signs of the same infestation.


These mealybugs are driving me nuts. What else can I do to rid these horrible mealybugs???


Please help!!!

2 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Frangipani gets infested very easily. I think it could be worse if the area doesn't get direct sunlight. I used to saw the branches off in frustration. New and healthy leaves will start to appear. Be careful when you cut the branches because alot of sap will flow out.

Wen-ai said...

Wah... saw off brunches somemore. Ting, you are even more hardcore! Guess that will be my last resort and a task awaiting for Hub to do when he is back in Spore! Im just afraid that my Frangi will die before I get to saw off anything...